Button flower topiaries are a fun splash of spring color, especially since winter seems to be never-ending this year. Add a trio to a curio cabinet or shelf display, or tuck a single topiary under a glass dome for an unexpected bright spot on a side table. Coordinate button flowers with your decor, or use a mishmash of spring colors like I did here.
- 3 Paper Mache’ Flowerpots (2 small, one medium)
- Yellow acrylic and glitter paints (DecoArt)
- 1″ Paintbrush
- 22 gauge craft wire
- buttons (various shapes, colors, and sizes)
- button shank remover (if necessary for chosen buttons)
- needle nosed jewelry pliers
- STYROFOAM brand foam balls, cut (diameter of pots)
- felt flowers
- Coordinating ribbon
- Green surface material (like that used for models)
- Beacon Fabri-Tac liquid adhesive
- Paint each flowerpot using yellow acrylic paint applying multiple coats as necessary. Finish with one coat of yellow glitter paint and let dry completely. Cut foam balls in half, gluing one half in each painted flowerpot. (Steps a & b) Spread glue over foam ball and press green model foliage into glue to secure (Step c).
- Remove shanks from buttons if necessary. Cut 8″ length of craft wire (or longer length if making larger topiaries). Choose 3–4 buttons of various colors and sizes. Thread one end of wire up through holes on buttons, bend wire in half using needle nose jewelry pliers, and thread back down through button holes from top. Twist wire ends together under button “blossom” to add strength. Glue felt flower to back of several blossoms if desired (I added them to large button flower topiary only).
- Once all the flowers are finished, gently push stems into the foam ball one by one. I used a small dab of glue to the ends of the twisted wire stems to secure. Fill in remaining spaces, bending wire stems as necessary to create arrangement. Repeat for other flowerpots.
- To complete the button topiary, wrap each flowerpot with coordinating ribbon and glue into place. Glue flower-shaped button over ends of ribbon to hide ribbon ends.
Enjoy your spring button flower topiaries, and THINK SPRING!
Thanks for stopping by!
Until next time…